Monday, March 26, 2012

Pebble Adventure Tutorial

My pebble adventure continues, with
a bit of a how-to.  The link to
the written instructions for the pebble
can be found here:

I began this pebble with fabric I had rusted
along with some found metal items.
I love how the metal bottle cap has
a heart shape eaten away in it.

The next step is to determine your pebble shape
and cut it out.  I have used plastic needlepoint
canvas, but the instructions call for cardboard.
Trace the pattern onto your fabric by tracing
around the pattern edges with a pencil.
Embellish  the traced shape.
Double check your embellishments, being sure
the pattern is filled.
To cover the plastic canvas pattern,
machine stitch  1/2" outside
the traced line. Use a basting
stitch, the longest stitch length.
Pull one of the threads and gather
the edges of the fabric.
Insert the pattern along with
some quilt batting to round out
the top.
The clothes pins will help hold things
together while you adjust the
gathering threads.
Tie the gathered edges to prevent the fabric
from slipping.
Repeat process for pebble back.
I used wool felt to pad the back.

Front and back ready to stitch together.
Using a matching thread carefully
stitch the top to the bottom.
Pebble complete!
Pebble completed size:
First and Second Pebble

On to Pebble #3!

Love to all,
Deb

12 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous,Deb!Love the last photo.Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your second pebble looks so mysterious with the dark on dark. One light, one dark....what will pebble #3 be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Deb, love this. I am making Easter eggs from my soft boiled egg shells that I have been having for breakfast. Had to give up the fried eggs and I hate to throw an egg shell away. Hope to get them posted soon.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, thanks for the tut! Love your pebbles. I hadn't read the directions before but this visual is great and very understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so beautiful Deb! I love that heart shaped rusty thing too - so cool how rust can enhance just about anything.
    This is a great tutorial and I think it would be so much fun to play with this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tutorial, Deb! Thank you! I never thought of putting the thread in with the fabric while it was being distressed - clever. I love your pebbles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial Deb!
    I find it very useful to learn about the methods other people use.
    Your pebble looks great, the black lines make me think of cracks in a rock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am bad.. I actually thought you were covering rocks...lol.. I wondered where you got the large smooth rocks...lol.. thanks so much for showing this tutorial.. I am now on the right page... Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am bad.. I actually thought you were covering rocks...lol.. I wondered where you got the large smooth rocks...lol.. thanks so much for showing this tutorial.. I am now on the right page... Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  10. your step-by-step is very interesting. thanks for sharing this technic

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how I missed this post and your lovely dark pebble. How kind of you to share your technique. Love both of your pebbles. Blissful stitching...

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh here i am way late to the party once again~!!~darnit

    i have been thinking about these pebbles a lot but just cannot seem to find the time to start my own.

    this tutorial does help though because now i don't have all of this imaginary crap/questions floating around in my head. you've given me a solid starting point and very understandable (as well as doable) instructions.

    your finished stone is absolutely gorgeous and when i first seen it i was reminded of lichen formations and even coral . . .
    just LOVE these.
    thank you so much for the encouragement, inspiration and instructions~!!~

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...