Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The Fleece And The Wheel

I have fallen down the rabbit hole and I am not looking for a way out.  Spinning wool fleece has become my new obsession....I hate to call it an obsession, as that can lead to losing interest.  You may remember the washing of the wool fleece in my last post.  In that greasy (lanolin) dirty fleece, a love developed.  

I have helped with the shearing of sheep.


local Sheep Farmer David Merchant
his daughter Lindsey

 There has been a parade of spinning wheels come through my front door.
First a JSW wheel, bought from a fellow spinner on Ravelry.  The wheel was pretty but we just did not get along, so I sold her, that happens with spinning wheels. 
 Next came the Ashford Kiwi, a new wheel and a keeper, we spend time together daily.



I found another wheel at an Antique Store:
An Ashford Traditional from the 70's, a little replacement of parts and she spun like a dream...did you know most wheels are girls?  But I really did not have room for 2 wheels so I sold her to a young man in Cincinnati.  (Hey Kyle, I hope you are well!)  I miss that wheel....

An auction brought me my next wheel:
Under lots of dirt and old finish a beauty emerged!  The wood appears to be walnut or maybe oak and she spins like a dream.  Currently she is for sale on Craigslist.

Now for the latest challenge:
 Late 1800's or early 1900's Canadian Production Wheel (CPW).
A previous repair, not a good one but it works.

 The maidens with leather to hold the flyer.

A CPW (Canadian Production Wheel), in rough condition, found on Craigslist. The last owner used her for decoration only and had the receipt from where she was purchased.  22 years of standing in a corner with nothing to do but look pretty.  There is a group on Ravelry devoted to this type of spinning wheel.  I am seeking out their guidance on how to proceed.

Have I spun any yarn....only about 100 miles of it!  The first few skeins were pretty scary but, now I am developing a feel for it and able to spin a smoother finer yarn.  Of course lumpy and bumby is good too, they call it "Art Yarn"!
My storage cabinet...a home for all things needed for spinning....well most of it!
 Wool yarn, I dyed the fibers.
 First attempts at spinning...always keep the "firsts" of new things you try.  One day you will be amazed at how far you have come.
 A wool (from a sheep down the street) spun single.
On the Kiwi Wheel
BFL roving spun into a single.  I will ply with the grey single above.
That has been my life for the past couple of months!

Love to all,
Deb

13 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You are NOT going to believe this - but just this very morning I was thinking about you and wondering how you were! I can see why you have fallen down that rabbit hole over spinning and fleece and all things wooly. I would do the same if only I had the space to try it.

deanna7trees said...

wow....looks like spinning has taken over your life. sounds wonderful. i've only hand spun and i did buy a Little Meggie that a friend was selling but haven't done much spinning lately. there just aren't enough hours in the day. my first hand spinning with a drop spindle resulted in a knitted cowl and fingerless mittens that i do wear when it gets cold enough here. looking forward to seeing more of your spinning adventures.

margaret said...

looks like you are having a wonderful time with the spinning wheels, I would be tempted to keep them all!! Wow the sheep is the size of cows here in UK never seen such an enormous sheep before. Good to see you on your blog, like you I have been absent, well still following blogs but not posted on mine for ages. PS have signed up for CQJP 2016 but not been accepted yet are you doing it too?

Debbie said...

Wow, you have been busy....so many wheels, so little time! I can attest that it's all too easy to have more than one wheel. Happy spinning!

Vicki Boster said...

I stand amazed-- I always am.... I think that you have such great talents. Isn't it funny how things happen that bring us to a new passion? I love your story of how the greasy wool brought you to this place. The spinning wheels are incredible... I want a photo of you spinning your beautiful yarns. My yarn is an absolute treasure...
Love you..
Vicki

Createology said...

I have thought of you often and some how knew you were busy with a wonderfully creative pursuit...and YES you are! Spinning wool yarn is not something I would try so I am thankful you have fallen in love with the entire process. Your yarns are beautiful dear. Creative Spinning Bliss...

desertskyquilts said...

Yep, down the rabbit hole, lost forever looks like. LOL Seems like you are making a career out of fixing and cleaning old wheels! I'll call you if I ever get mine out of storage in Phoenix and it hasn't dried out completely! It's an antique my MIL bought and used - yeah, in a corner like the Canadian one you mentioned! Since she died, it's been in storage. If I live long enough, I'll have it out and want to use it as it was intended.

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Deb!
Your yarn is gorgeous, and I can completely understand how you can fall in love with multiple sewing machines. (I have done, and continue to do so with sewing machines!
Ahh, if only everyone could be similarly "obsessed" with artful pursuits, rather than less productive activities. The world could be a safer, kinder (and prettier) place.
Glad I stopped in to see what you've been up to!
Christmas blessings to you and yours, my friend.
xo
Donna

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

So glad to read you are having much fun spinning your own yarn. I was wondering if all was well.
Have a great week, dear Deb.
Hugs,
Marie

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Working with fleece and fibre all the way from shearing to spinning and dyeing - wow - it all looks absolutely terrific!! Have a very Merry Christmas!

Jillayne said...

Oh how wonderful - I'm so glad you stuck with this... and you've bitten me with it too you know. Someday, I will try this for myself...
Merry Christmas to you Deb - I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Hi Deb, you are always up to something new. My grandmother had a spinning wheel upstairs in her home. Unfortunately it disappeared and more than likely ended up at a garage sale along with many other heirlooms. That was several years ago so I try to leave it in the past. You have been in my thoughts a lot lately. I am attempting smocking this month for my CQJP and wish I could have you standing over me directing me from mistakes but alas I am on my own. Hope I can create some beautiful pieces as you had done. Are you totally away from CQ now? Miss our old group.

EMPLOTRON said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...